Thursday, June 2, 2011

Storing in the Garage - A Question

Hi !  I read your blog the other day and learned that your neighbors had been hit pretty hard in the tornadoes, but that you are doing well.  I'm glad to hear it and hope you didn't suffer any great damages. 
I have a question for you about storage.  My garage is where I have the most room to store these grains, etc. but it is not climate-controlled.  In the summer it will get pretty warm.  Can I still keep wheat out there?  What about oats, sucanat, flax, corn?  Any advice you can give would be helpful.  Thanks!
A.S. - Cleveland, TN

It was so good to hear from you!!  We were very blessed through the storms . . . especially taking into account the terrible devastation and loss in Cleveland.  My heart just broke when I heard about the Glasgows and their family's loss.  We continue to uphold them and others in prayer!!
Now about storage . . . if the garage is where you have to store then, yes, by all means you can store there.  Even though it is not temperature controlled!  Regulated temperatures at 70 degrees and below are ideal and cause the bulk goods to last A VERY LONG TIME (see the detailed article on ideal storage in link above).  But stored in your garage at differing temps just means they may keep ten years or less ;D !!  I say that because I have my food stored upstairs where the temperature ranges from 60 in the winter to 90+ in the summer.  Some of the stuff I have gotten into lately was packed in 1999 and it is still GREAT!!!  I am not sure about the flax seed though because I have never stored flax long term.  I am pretty sure the oils in the flax seed would NOT allow it to store for long - similar to brown rice (again that depends on the temperature control - see article above).  What I have, I keep in the fridge or freezer, but I have small quantities.  Just make sure the other items are stored in air tight, food grade containers.  If you can seal them with oxygen absorbers, even better.  If you are storing items in the garage that you are in and out of on a regular basis, then you might need to make sure that you use those items up in a reasonable amount of time . . . maybe a year or less.

I hope that helps! 

No comments:

Post a Comment