Thursday, May 26, 2011

Macaroni & Cheese from Bulk Food Storage

It was another busy day in the bulk food kitchen today!  Of course, grits and eggs for hubby's breakfast - he was out pretty early this morning!  Then somewhat later I fixed pancakes for breakfast - I need to share that recipe one of these days - but for those, I was into the soft white wheat, powdered milk, baking powder, & salt.  I put up some strawberries this week and as a special treat I made a strawberry syrup this morning for those of us who like that sort of thing on our pancakes - YUMMY! - for that I was into the evaporated cane juice.  What I really need to do is ask Sarah over at Stir it Up! if she has a recipe for fresh strawberry syrup!  Anyway, for dinner we had Spanish rice (I did use white) and refried beans (I cheated tonight and used canned).  But the main reason for tonight's post was the macaroni & cheese I made for lunch.  I recently purchased a 6 lb container of cheddar cheese powder to make my own version of the "boxed" mac and cheese.  A friend of mine with 7 children buys the cheese powder by the 50 lb bag.  I really wanted to give it a try, so here goes . . .

Macaroni and Cheese ~

    Bring to a boil 5 cups of salted water.  Add 3 cups of elbow macaroni and cook until al dente.  Drain the macaroni.  Place the elbows back in the pot.  Add a 1/2 stick of butter, 1/2 cup of milk - you guessed it, I used my powdered solution, and 1/2 cup cheddar cheese powder.  Stir until all the lumps are gone and you have a creamy texture.  It was actually very good - as far as boxed substitutes go!!
                                                                                                                                   


I really needed to bake bread today, too, but I ended up being too busy!  Tomorrow's another day . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment