Saturday, June 4, 2011

Whole Wheat ButterHorns - Recipes from the Old Mill

It's Saturday evening and we are going to Nana's tomorrow for Sunday dinner . . . thought I would share the recipe I am taking.  Give them a try!

From  by Sarah Myers

2 pkgs. dry yeast (I use 4 1/2 teaspoons of my bulk yeast)
1 3/4 cups warm water
2 Tbsp. brown sugar
3 Tbsp. oil
1/4 cup honey
2 tsp. salt
2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour (I use freshly ground hard white wheat)
2-2 1/2 cups flour
6 Tbsp. soft butter
1/3 cup chopped walnuts (optional - I DO NOT USE THESE!)

1)  Dissolve yeast in water.
2)  Add brown sugar, oil, honey, salt, and 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour.  Mix well.
3)  Stir in remaining whole wheat flour and enough flour to make a stiff dough.
4)  Knead on a lightly floured surface for 10 minutes.  Place in a greased bowl.  Cover and let rise about 1 1/2 hours.
5)  Divide into 3 equal pieces.  Shape into balls.  Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
6)  Roll each ball into a 10" circle.  Spread with 1/3 of butter.  Sprinkle with nuts if desired.  Cut each circle into 8 wedges.  To shape rolls, begin at wide end of wedge and roll toward point.  Place on greased baking sheet.  (Looks like a croissant!).
7)  Cover and let rise 20-30 minutes.  Bake in a 375 degree oven for 12-15 minutes.  Brush with milk or butter while still warm.

Just a couple of personal notes:  I didn't have honey this evening so I used 1/4 cup Sucanat and omitted the brown sugar.  Again I used my Bosch mixer to do the kneading.  Lastly, I hardly ever use all the butter this recipe calls for . . . I slather generously and still can't manage to use 6 Tbsp. of butter!  Oh, one last thing, I couldn't find an opened hard white this evening so I used my whole 7 grain mix - they were still yummy!

A note of warning . . . these things are wonderful and have a tendency to disappear QUICKLY!!  Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment