Thursday, March 31, 2011

A Vision for the Future . . .

Okay, so I have been writing all these posts about getting started storing bulk foods, but I thought it might be nice to see where you want to be headed . . .

I have had the question asked, "What do you have stored in buckets in your kitchen?"  I am blessed with a fairly large kitchen and a small pantry.  I have a six foot table in my kitchen under which I store approximately 12 buckets.  Those buckets contain evaporated cane juice, sucanat, unbleached flour, popcorn, grits, elbow macaroni, veggie rotini, hard red wheat berries, spelt berries, powdered milk, brown rice, whole 7 grain mix, soft white wheat berries, and chocolate chips.  In the pantry I have hard white wheat berries, black beans, millet, and oh - I found an empty!

So what does a typical day look like at my house?  Really . . . is there such a thing as typical?  ;D  Well, let's see . . . this morning I made grits with eggs for breakfast.  That is my hubby's "usual!"  Then I made bread this morning, getting into the spelt, flour, and sucanat.  I do that at least twice a week.  For lunch we had chili and I made elbow macaroni to go with that.  This afternoon I found some overripe bananas in my fruit basket - which hardly ever happens at my house - so I made banana muffins.  With that recipe I ground my own soft white wheat berries and also got into the sucanat and flour buckets.  Plus, I had mixed a batch of powdered milk this morning and used it in the bread and muffins.

That, I suppose, is a typical day for me in and out of the buckets, grinding my own wheat, using the bulk foods I store and saving money.  Hope this helps!!

No comments:

Post a Comment