Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Scratch Biscuits




I love the time of year when summer wanes and fall comes on!  For me it is time to pull out my crocheting and make a pot of chili!!  Tonight was no exception . . .

Usually I serve chili with rice and/or chips, but tonight was spontaneous and I had no chips nor felt like making rice, so a batch of cheese biscuits was in order.


Scratch Biscuits ~

     1 3/4 cup soft white wheat, freshly ground (I started with a little less than a cup of berries)
     1/4 cup unbleached all-purpose or bread flour (you can use all whole wheat)
     3 teaspoons baking powder
     3/4 teaspoon salt
     1/4 cup oil
     3/4 cup milk (and maybe a little more - NO MORE than a cup but start with the 3/4)

Start with the dry ingredients.  Mix in oil then milk, stir just until moistened.  Drop by heaping tablespoon on greased baking sheet.  Bake for 8-10 minutes at 350 degrees.  Makes approx. 8 biscuits.

Cheesy, Garlic Variation ~
     Use olive oil for oil in recipe.  Add about a cup of shredded cheese and 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder.  You can additionally add any herb of your choice.

Sweet Biscuit Variation ~
    Recipe above but add 1/4 sugar and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon.  I like to use coconut oil or you could use a lighter vegetable oil - the olive oil is too strong for this.  You can also add raisins and icing if you must. ;-)

My Almost FAMOUS Pecan Tea Biscuit ~                                                       
 I bet you can't believe that I am resurrecting this again!!  Well some things I just can't seem to let go of!!!  This is by far the best version of this recipe - if you haven't read the long version and really want to, click here.

Use scratch recipe above with the sweet biscuit variation.  To this add 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans and - because my daughter begged me - 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips (optional).  Finally a biscuit quality to satisfy!!   Hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment