Thursday, September 11, 2014

Seven Grain Pancakes

Well I'm back!!  With a new look and a commitment to myself to post regularly!

Thought I would start back with a house favorite!

Several years ago when we had our grain business, I was introduced to Wheat Montana's Whole Seven Grain mix.  This mix includes hard red wheat, soft white wheat, triticale, eye, oat groats, pearled barley, and spelt.  It is a wonderful blend that adds a unique twist to any of your whole grain recipes.  I am particularly partial to using this mix in my pancake recipe.  I am hoping to start experimenting with it more and sharing my results with you.  In the meantime I hope you enjoy this recipe.

I'm going to give you the original pancake recipe from my 1981 Better Homes & Garden NEW(;-D) Cookbook and my version in parentheses . . .

1 1/2 c. all purpose flour  (I grind 3/4 c. Seven grain mix which yields 1 1/2 c flour - actually for my crew     I usually double this recipe)
2 T. sugar (I ALWAYS omit this - with syrup there is no need!)
2 teas. baking powder (Rumford's aluminum free)
1/2 teas. salt (sea salt)
1 beaten egg
1 T. vegetable oil (I use Nutiva coconut oil - oh my!  It makes them especially yummy!!!)
1 c. milk ( I use 1/2 milk and 1/2 water - I just prefer a thinner batter)

Just for a smile, this morning when I doubled the recipe I accidently put too much salt in the batch.  I thought I had, so luckily I tested the batter before cooking - YUCK! - so I had to triple the batch!!!  Well, the good news is that I will NOT have to cook breakfast on Saturday morning - there will be PLENTY of pancakes.  ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment